Meet Amy Saidman, founding Artistic Executive Director of Story District, a DC-based arts non-profit dedicated to teaching and showcasing their art of storytelling.
Amy generously shares tips to be a better storyteller and what makes a story profound... And it's not how big the story is.
I had the privilege of sharing a story recently at Story District and couldn't wait to share Amy with all of you. Whether you have stage fright and could never imagine yourself on stage or you're ready to take your talks to the next level, this episode is a must-listen for you to tell your story!
What You’ll Learn in this Episode
- What makes a story worth listening to
- How to tell your story so that people are rooting for you
- What the same theme is in every single good story
Nuggets of Wisdom from Amy
- Every character has an arch that clearly defines what they want. What's getting in the way of what they want.
- I would also say there's the flip side when people are being way more exposed than ever. They'll put their whole heart out there to the universe.
- Certain kinds of stories really get a reaction from the audience. I think there's a definite appeal to some folks for stories that are very confessional. It takes some courage to share that particular story. I think that is something that appeals to some people.
- It's such a great way to take something that maybe didn't turn out well but use it for something really positive. Just a great story and have a sense of humor about it. Cause we don't grow without failure. So those stories have a lot to do really with growth.